Subject: Re: pkginstall framework changes
To: Stephan Thesing <thesing@cs.uni-sb.de>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/15/2006 09:17:42
Stephan Thesing wrote:

> it might be that the latest pkginstall framework changes broke something
> in (at least) textproc/docbook-xml and textproc/docbook-xsl
>
> These two packages use a INSTALL (and DEINSTALL) script to insert their
> catalogs into ${PREFIX}/share/xml/catalog, by including
> ../../textproc/xmlcatmgr/catalogs.mk in their Makefiles
>
> They also set NO_BUILD=YES as they extract an archive during install:
> time directly to the target prefix.
>
> As the INSTALL/DEINSTALL scripts are locally generated at post-build:
> via the
> target generate-install-scripts: in mk/install/bsd.pkginstall.mk, they
> will not
> be generated when NO_BUILD=YES, thus the INSTALL/DEINSTALL scripts are
> not recorded/executed for those two packages, causing the build of other
> packages to fail as they cannot find the catalogs in
> ${PREFIX}/share/xml/catalog
>
> If my analysis of the error is correct (not that I have the slightest
> clue how this is really supposed to work:-) then a quick fix would be to
> remove NO_BUILD=YES from those two packages and add a dummy do-build:
> target in their Makefiles

Your analysis is exactly right.  I think we should just generate install
scripts not during the build phase, but "just after" the build phase.  I
had originally put it into post-build when I started out because I was
hesitant to add another layer between "build" and "install", but I think
we're beyond that now.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>