Subject: Portable NetBSD /bin/sh in pkgsrc/bootstrap
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/14/2006 22:14:32
  [ moved from pkgsrc-bulk with a variety of subjects ]

* On 2006-03-14 at 21:56 GMT, joerg@britannica.bec.de wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 07:24:49PM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
>
> > /usr/xpg4/bin/sh and /bin/ksh are almost equal on my system (Solaris
> > 8), and the bug also occurs with the XPG4 shell.
>
> So this brings back the suggestion I made a while ago for the amd64
> build: either fixup pdksh or get the NetBSD shell with portability
> wrappers into pkgsrc. I *really* want to have a reasonable small and
> fast shell I can depend on.

I like this idea; it would clean up a lot of constructs in pkgsrc
specifically to handle, how shall we say, "less useful" shells, as well
as resolving previous concerns we've had about slowing pkgsrc down on
platforms such as Solaris if we moved to more featureful shell which
runs slower than the native /bin/sh.

I'm happy to find some cycles to work on this.  Are there reasons why we
might not want to do this?

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/