Subject: HEADS-UP: pkginstall framework changes
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/10/2006 23:01:30
I'm going to be modifying the pkginstall framework in the next few
days as part of my work to push info files in the PLISTs.  As part of
these changes, I've been looking over the current state of INSTALL
and DEINSTALL scripts in pkgsrc.  The large majority of these scripts
are expected to work as part of the pkginstall framework, while only
a handful are expected to be used verbatim in the old-style, pre-pkginstall
way.

Based on these observations, I'm going to be modifying the conventions
for what happens when an INSTALL or DEINSTALL script is found in the
package directory.  Currently, it is used verbatim, and if you are
using pkginstall, then you must set either INSTALL_EXTRA_TMPL or
DEINSTALL_EXTRA_TMPL to embed the script into the pkginstall-generated
scripts.  I'm going to reverse this situation, so that the presence
of these files will automatically cause them to be used in the pkginstall
framework, and if you want them to be used verbatim, you must set
INSTALL_SRC and DEINSTALL_SRC explicitly to those files.

I believe this will make things easier for package developers because
there is less stuff to remember to set in the package Makefile for
the most common case.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>