Subject: Re: PKGCONFIG_OVERRIDE only for buildlinking (not for installed *.pc files)?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/03/2006 01:56:14
On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:24:00PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Should we be "Adding rpaths to pkgconfig files" for the *pc files that are
> actually installed?

No, I don't think so.

> For example, I am building an Xorg application without using pkgsrc build
> system. But I am using the pkgsrc provided freetype2 and fontconfig and
> pkg-config. Because the -Wl,-R${libdir} was added, it overrode my choice
> for other libraries due to the pkgconfig --libs ordering (and used my
> incompatible old pkgsrc libraries).

If you use the pkgsrc foo.pc file, you should use the corresponding
pkgsrc foo libs.

If you want to use non-pkgsrc foo.pc, you should set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
correctly.

I prefer the current way (as it is) because I can compile and install
software outside of pkgsrc without having to add -Wl,-R in lots of places.
I think this should stay as-is.

Cheers,
 Thomas