Subject: Re: databases/gnome-mime-data missing a dependancy
To: None <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/21/2006 16:23:33
On 21/02/2006, at 15:57, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:46:04 +0100
> "Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21/02/2006, at 1:46, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>>
>>> This package would not build until I built textproc/p5-XML-Parser.
>>> Not
>>> sure if it should be DEPENDS or BUILD_DEPENDS.  I will add it as a
>>> DEPENDS for now.  If that is wrong, go ahead and reduce it to
>>> BUILD_DEPENDS.
>>
>> This change is incorrect and should be reverted.
>
> I haven't made the change yet.

Sorry for being so rude.  For some reason I thought I was replying to
a commit message...

>> This problem has popped up multiple times in many packages and it was
>> always tracked down to a problem in the user's machine.  If you have
>> ever updated perl5 on your machine without rebuilding all the
>> modules (aka make replace), or used a prebuilt p5-* package for a
>> different version of perl5 than yours, then that's the cause of the
>> failure.  (This should be fixed with very recent versions of perl,
>> but "broken" stuff is surely still around out there.)
>
> I am building in a chroot jail after removing every single package and
> building everything from scratch.  There is nothing left over from
> previoius builds.  The latest perl and every other package was
> installed fresh from current pkgsrc.

No binary packages involved, right?  (Just to be sure.)

>   Still, I have intltool installed
> without p5-XML-Parser.

Ew.  Maybe something is broken nowadays in pkgsrc as regards dependency
handling.

I just wanted to emphasize that adding that dependency to
gnome-mime-data is not the way to go.  If this package fails because
it cannot find p5-XML-Parser, many other will probably fail for the
same reason (actually, all those using intltool).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/