Subject: Re: databases/gnome-mime-data missing a dependancy
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/21/2006 09:57:34
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:46:04 +0100
"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/02/2006, at 1:46, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>
> > This package would not build until I built textproc/p5-XML-Parser.
> > Not
> > sure if it should be DEPENDS or BUILD_DEPENDS.  I will add it as a
> > DEPENDS for now.  If that is wrong, go ahead and reduce it to
> > BUILD_DEPENDS.
>
> This change is incorrect and should be reverted.

I haven't made the change yet.

> gnome-mime-data has a build dependency on textproc/intltool which
> in turn depends on p5-XML-Parser.  gnome-mime-data has no business in
> depending on that Perl module, because it is only used by intltool
> internally.

OK, something is broken somewhere though.

> This problem has popped up multiple times in many packages and it was
> always tracked down to a problem in the user's machine.  If you have
> ever updated perl5 on your machine without rebuilding all the
> modules (aka make replace), or used a prebuilt p5-* package for a
> different version of perl5 than yours, then that's the cause of the
> failure.  (This should be fixed with very recent versions of perl,
> but "broken" stuff is surely still around out there.)

I am building in a chroot jail after removing every single package and
building everything from scratch.  There is nothing left over from
previoius builds.  The latest perl and every other package was
installed fresh from current pkgsrc.  Still, I have intltool installed
without p5-XML-Parser.

I followed the chain that you mentioned and it seems to be correct so I
am at a loss as to how I arrived at this situation.  I do remember
going through this once before when I was too busy to follow up.  I'm
still too busy but I didn't want to see something like this left
dangling in our tree.

Anyway, I won't commit anything until this is cleared up.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/