Subject: Re: databases/gnome-mime-data missing a dependancy
To: None <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/21/2006 15:46:04
On 21/02/2006, at 1:46, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> This package would not build until I built textproc/p5-XML-Parser.
> Not
> sure if it should be DEPENDS or BUILD_DEPENDS.  I will add it as a
> DEPENDS for now.  If that is wrong, go ahead and reduce it to
> BUILD_DEPENDS.

This change is incorrect and should be reverted.

gnome-mime-data has a build dependency on textproc/intltool which
in turn depends on p5-XML-Parser.  gnome-mime-data has no business in
depending on that Perl module, because it is only used by intltool
internally.

This problem has popped up multiple times in many packages and it was
always tracked down to a problem in the user's machine.  If you have
ever updated perl5 on your machine without rebuilding all the
modules (aka make replace), or used a prebuilt p5-* package for a
different version of perl5 than yours, then that's the cause of the
failure.  (This should be fixed with very recent versions of perl,
but "broken" stuff is surely still around out there.)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/