Subject: Re: [patch] Fix for some packages, might break others
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org, rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Gilles Dauphin <Gilles.Dauphin@enst.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/21/2006 11:24:58
> From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> I have tracked down a probable source of the various libtool errors on
> Solaris. On that system (any some others), EGREP is defined as follows
> in mk/tools/tools.SunOS.mk:
>
>      TOOLS_PLATFORM.egrep?=          /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -E
>
> Up to now, what ended up in the CONFIGURE_ARGS for GNU configure scripts
> was a plain EGREP=/usr/xpg4/bin/grep (without the -E).
>
> I'd like to commit this patch, but before I'd like to know if any of you
> knows of packages that will break because of this change. A typical
> reason for breaking would be if a configure script uses the following
> code instead of AC_PATH_PROG or AC_CHECK_PROG.
>
>      if [ -x "$EGREP" ]; then
>          echo "yes";
>      else
>          echo "no";
>      fi
>
> (Or even worse, leaving out the "" around the $EGREP. :))
>
> So if you know a package using autoconf and this idiom, please tell me.
>
> Roland

I have the same problem in mk/tools/tools.SunOS.mk with Solaris10
and here is what i do
.if exists(/usr/bin/gzip)
TOOLS_PLATFORM.gunzip?=         /usr/bin/gunzip -f
TOOLS_PLATFORM.gzcat?=          /usr/bin/gzcat
TOOLS_PLATFORM.gzip?=           /usr/bin/gzip -nf ${GZIP}
#TOOLS_PLATFORM.gunzip?=                /usr/bin/gzip -df
#TOOLS_PLATFORM.gzcat?=         /usr/bin/gzip -cd
#TOOLS_PLATFORM.gzip?=          /usr/bin/gzip -nf ${GZIP}
.endif