Subject: Re: overwriting part of a package with another?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/20/2006 16:08:30
In message <>, "Jeremy C.
 Reed" writes:
>On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> I'm putting together a package for 'powerdot', a LaTeX presentation
>> package.  However, it requires a newer version of the xkeyval macro
>> package than occurs in teTeX3.  What is the best way to handle that?
>> We do have the latest version of teTeX, so it's not just a matter of
>> waiting for an update.
>(Note that I don't know powerdot/xkeyval...)
>One idea is to use a different filename. And patch powerdot to use that
>renamed version.

Hmm -- I'll have to check that out.  I don't know xkeyval, either.  I
suspect that that's the path to follow.
>Or if it is backwards compatible, maybe make it so teTeX3 does not install
>it. Make a new package for the new xkeyval and have teTeX3 depend on it.
That's probably the wrong thing to do; the nice thing about teTeX is
that it's an integrated collection.  We don't want documents that
format on oen system but not another when they're both running teTeX3.

		--Steven M. Bellovin,