Subject: www/apache2 not accepting command for ErrorLog
To: None <>
From: George Georgalis <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/14/2006 13:21:25
The pkgsrc apache2 is not happy with a command for ErrorLog,
as documented here

It surprises me that this would be broken. Is there something wrong
with the package? With the original source? Or my execution?

In this httpd.conf fragment, the former works

#ErrorLog /tmp/apache2.ErrorLog
ErrorLog "|/bin/cat >>/tmp/apache2.ErrorLog"

but the latter causes apache to exit with the error:

[crit] (28)No space left on device: mod_rewrite: could not create rewrite_log_lock
Configuration Failed

I'm quite certain I have free space and inodes, seems like apache2
is trying to do locking on the exec? but what does mod_rewrite
have to do with it? I don't load it.  My configuration is generic
accept for the invocation

/usr/pkg/sbin/httpd -DNO_DETACH -f /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf -e debug -E /tmp/apache.start.err

and a very standard NameVirtualHost.

// George

George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator <IXOYE>< cell:646-331-2027