Subject: Re: Third Party User-UIDs > 1000
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/13/2006 12:40:12
Gavan Fantom wrote:
> joerg@britannica.bec.de wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 06:19:00PM +0100, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
>>
>>> it is unsatisfying to have users from pkgsrc software using UIDs > 1000.
>>

>> Well, PKG_CREATE_USERGROUP=no and create them by hand.
>>
>> There's no portable way to create "system" users or group, simply
>> because there is no portable concep of "system" users.
>

> No, but we could easily create such a concept in pkgsrc, and support it
> on any OS which supports it.
>
> And then implement it in NetBSD, possibly by extending usermgmt.conf to
> understand profiles. Then, ship a default usermgmt.conf which provides a
> pkgsrc profile as well as a regular profile.

I'm definitely not in favor of the additional complexity.  I feel that
user/group creation is a platform-specific issue, and that the local
administrator can either create the correct local policies for the
automatic tools to work correctly, or to create the users and groups
beforehand.  I want pkgsrc to manage packages -- not deal with the the
small-but-important details of local user/group management.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>