Subject: Re: the recent 'gettext ABI change' bump.
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/06/2006 14:27:53
On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 04:27:09AM -0800, Tom Spindler wrote:
> Why was the bump done so indiscrimately? I can't see why, say,
> cdparanoia would depend on the gettext libs, or acpidump, or
> firefox-bin-flash, or win32-codecs - the last two not depending on
> any system libs at all!

Because of a limitation of the tools at hand. Follow the producedure in
revbump(1) and you get this results.

The problem is that the index does recurse deeper than wanted, e.g. into
gmake, which in turn adds a gettext-lib reference almost everywhere.
This is a short coming that will be addressed.

> If this is something that's needed for dragonfly, arguably that
> should be handled by something specifically in the mk/ files, not
> in every single pkgsrc file/directory.

This is not about DragonFly, otherwise I would have carefully thought
about a different option.

Joerg