Subject: Re: pkg summary file format proposal
To: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de, tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2006 21:15:34
In article <20060205154126.GA203@britannica.bec.de> joerg@britannica.bec.de wrote:
: On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 07:18:00PM +0100, Dieter Baron wrote:
: > I propose the file be called `pkg_summary.txt' and be placed in the
: > same directory as the binary packages themselves (the `All' directory
: > in the standard layout).  Since it can grow quite large, we may want
: > to compress it with gzip and call it `pkg_summary.txt.gz'

: Any strong reason to use gzip and not bzip2?

  The binary packages are compressed with gzip, so gzip must be
installed to install binary packages.  Not so with bzip2.

: >   To save space, I would like to change the way multi-line values are
: > stored (both in the summary and the +{BUILD,INSTALLED}_INFO files).
: > They are currently stored as multiple lines:
: >
: > REQUIRES=/usr/pkg/lib/libjpeg.so.62
: > REQUIRES=/usr/pkg/lib/libpng.so.3
: >
: > while I would like to have continuation lines start with a single tab
: > character:
: >
: > REQUIRES=/usr/pkg/lib/libjpeg.so.62
: >       /usr/pkg/lib/libpng.so.3

: Please don't do this. It makes the output harder to process like Jeremy
: said already and it might even be counterproductive for the compression.
: Keep in mind that REQUIRES=/usr/pkg/lib would end up as a single token
: for LZ77.

  Like I said, I will try both and report the space savings.

: > I propose including the following variables:

: [snap list]

: Can we also have a delimiter token? I think that might be handy later
: :-)

  Yes, a blank line.  Sorry, I forgot that in the previous mail.

: >   Comments are welcome if I missed anything important or if any of
: > these are superfluous.

: I don't think the object format is really important, on the other hand
: the pkg_install version can be.

  Sounds reasonable, and would also give us an implicit file format
version.

: >   This allows easy integration of the summary information creation
: > into bulk builds, by running the following command at the end:
: >
: >       pkg_info -C *.tgz | gzip -9 > pkg_summary.txt.gz

: Which might not work for large binary lists on platforms with not too
: large argmax. But that can be worked around of course.

  True.

						yours,
						dillo