Subject: Re: DEPENDS semantics changed silently
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/02/2006 14:35:56
Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Roland Illig wrote:
>
>>>     DEPENDS+= foobar:../../foos/foobar:extract
>>>                                       ^^^^^^^^
>>
>> What package do you need this for? Maybe there's another way to model it.
>

> You missed the point: this used to work

Hmmm, I have looked for the word "DEPENDS" in the CVS history of
bsd.pkg.mk, but couldn't find anything obvious. Except that in the
bsd.pkg.mk from 2002-01-01, there are some usage patterns of ${DEPENDS}
that may give some hints that there had been such a feature in the past.

Can you show me an example of a package that has used this feature? You
know the ancient pkgsrc much better than me.

 > and just because pkglint never
> knew about it doesn't make it invalid

The point is that no package is currently using this feature.

> Obvious workarounds are in the pkgsrc guide, but people who'd expect
> this to work will have bad surprises.

That's ugly for several reasons. First, it uses internal variables,
second because the print/ghostscript5 package does not exist anymore,
third, "make patch" should be used instead of "make extract".

> This should be warned about form pkgsrc, and not rely on pkglint
> coughing up an error (e.g.):
>
>  *** Third argument for DEPENDS is deprecated please use pre-configure
> and post-clean targets

Why? This would make the build process even slower than it already is,
and since no package is using it at the moment, and probably for the
past few years, it's useless. (Except, of course, for the case that you
can show me a package that uses it.)

Roland