Subject: nbpax broken on Solaris?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/31/2006 14:01:00
Is this a bug in "pax" from pkgsrc?

$ pwd
/proj/middleware/work/eurbboq/pkgsrc
$ rm -rf foo bar
$ mkdir foo bar
$ pax -rw foo /proj/middleware/work/eurbboq/pkgsrc/bar
pax: Cannot create directory `/proj/middleware' (Operation not applicable)
$
$ type pax
pax is hashed
(/proj/middleware/work/eurbboq/SunOS/pkg.2006-01-31/bin/pax)
$

---
The problem seems to be that the destination is a full path where not
all path components are writable by the user. Shouldn't pax handle that?

This is with pax built from -current pkgsrc bootstrap on Solaris 9/sparc.

It breaks the (unprivileged) build of libiconv for me, patch-ab runs
pax with a full patch to the destination directory. If I change the
destination to ".." it builds ok.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Best regards,

        -- Urban