Subject: Re: learning what package versions are available?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/25/2006 14:17:36
In message <Pine.NEB.4.62.0601251059200.668@pilchuck.reedmedia.net>, "Jeremy C.
 Reed" writes:
>On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
>> >Is this what you mean?
>> >
>> > pkg_info -Q PKGPATH -a | while read p ; do cd $p && bmake show-var \
>> >   VARNAME=PKGNAME ; cd ${OLDPWD} ; done
>>
>> No -- that works on what I have on my system.  I want something that's
>> run on a NetBSD server, doing that for all possible packages.  That
>> way, I can pull down one file and see if I should upgrade any of my
>> insecure packages.  I'm trying to avoid everyone wanting to do
>> 'cvs update' every day via cron.
>
>Is this because the pkg-vulnerabilities (audit-packages) might list
>packages that do not really have updates yet?

Precisely.  Right now, my laptop claims to have 6 vulnerable packages.
All of the vulnerabilities have been present for several days at least;
three have been present for months.

>Or you are interested in knowing about any updates, and not just security
>updates. And it could also be used simply to show what is now available.

That would be nice but not as important, though it would speed up
'lintpkgsrc -i'.

>Hosting that list on some official server seems fine. I don't know if
>NetBSD web or ftp server has up-to-date pkgsrc to build the list from
>daily. But if so, that would be easy to do.
>
>I wonder if parsing doc/CHANGES could be used too.

Maybe, though parsing doesn't work well if there isn't a
rigidly-defined format.