Subject: buildlink3.mk and library dependancies
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <murray@river-styx.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/23/2006 13:37:30
Hi Folks,
    Before I go too far, I am not on this list so please mail me direct as
well as the list.

    I've been playing around with upgrading ffmpeg and transcode in
pkgsrc-wip and I have come across something that I was hoping someone
could point me in the right direction for an answer.

    The ffmpeg package has a number of compile time option dependancies,
for example: faad, faac, a52, lame etc. The transcode program requires
ffmpeg to build and will fail if ffmpeg cannot be found or linked
properly. Currently I have most options in use for my ffmpeg pkg but
when transcode tries to test the existance and usability of ffmpeg,
the configure test fails to compile because transcode doesn't know
that ffmpeg needs additional linker flags to pull in the optional
dependancies of ffmpeg. What is the buildlink3.mk suggested way of
passing additional linker flags around depending on PKG_OPTIONS
selected? At the moment I am playing with just setting a variable
myself in the ffmpeg buildlink3.mk file and using it in transcode, but
I wonder if there is a way of doing this within the buildlink3
framework. Couldn't find anything in the doc/pkgsrc.txt file.

Thanks in advance,
    Murray Armfield