Subject: Re: ap-php4 depends on apache 1.3
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2006 23:08:07
--SBKwXYz1xY/kcGv0

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:57:04PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I misunderstand.
>=20
> I read "The ap-php4 now works for apache2 also" and allows apache
> modules that will work with more than one version of the apache web
> server to not require a separate package for each version of apache."
>=20
> Does this mean I can create a package from www/ap-php using defaults
> and take it to another machine that is using www/apache2 and it will
> work with it automatically?
>=20
> If so, I misunderstood all the complaints on this list and other
> forums over past few years.
>=20
> (It does not look like it since the DEPENDS by default is
> apache{,6}-1.3.*. Also, as far as I understand, modules for Apache 1
> use a different ABI than modules for Apache 2.)

it means that there is only one package instead of four and what binary
it produces is based on the options used (in this case
PKG_APACHE_DEFAULT and PHP_VERSION_DEFAULT).

the only difference to other similar schemes (e.g., python modules) is
that apache modules don't set their prefix based on the apache version
they are compiled against.  thus you can't tell on the first look
whether the binary package was built against apache or apache2.

i have patches to correct this but i don't have time to properly test
them for next week or two.

the real problem is then bulk-build's inability to build packages with
non-default versions.  i strongly object to adding (back) dozens of
apache and php modules just to overcome this limitation.  that's a
maintenance hell.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --