Subject: Re: Missing ghostscript dependency in print/evince?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Chris Wareham <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/17/2006 16:20:27
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Chris Wareham wrote:
>>As the subject line says, print/evince seems to require a runtime
>>dependency on ghostscript that would allow it to render PostScript
>>files. Should I raise a PR for this?
> I also think it should display dvi files too. (I also packaged evince for
> gs and dvi support but someone else committed to pkgsrc first.)
> Please see:
> It probably should depend on ghostscript; are there any other packages
> like this that use gs but don't depend on it?

Poking through the Makefile for evince, it has a curious semi-dependency
on Ghostscript:

# XXX fake for "configure" to allow build w/o a gs installed
# (avoid hard dependency on a specific version)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=    --with-gs=${LOCALBASE}/bin/gs
     ${ECHO} "echo 8.51" >${BUILDLINK_DIR}/bin/gs
     ${CHMOD} +x ${BUILDLINK_DIR}/bin/gs

I'm not aware of any other packages that do something similar. I'm
wondering whether the snippet cited above should be replaced with:

USE_TOOLS+= gs:run

> And maybe someone (or myself) can add the extra dvi support package for
> evince.

That would be quite neat, although wouldn't it require a bunch of TeX