Subject: Re: Adding DESTDIR support to pkg_add
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/2006 14:31:59
On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:44:04AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:

> I believe that FreeBSD's pkg_add has the ability to chroot, but I don't
> want to do that, because (especially when installing syspkgs into a
> previously empty directory) necessary tools might not exist in the
> target directory.

Yes, I want that feature. With regard to chroot, you should
differentiate between two important factors:
(a) All extraction and database operations should occur from outside,
using the tools of the normal root.
(b) Any temporary storage should be affected via DESTDIR as well IMO,
e.g. DESTDIR/var/tmp be used. That's important for install media as
well.
(c) If -I was not specified, the scripts have to be run chrooted. In the
longer run, we should add a flag for this to allow a bypass for "safe"
scripts, but that wouldn't be the general case I think.

joerg