Subject: Re: outdated dependencies getting installed
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Hernani Marques Madeira <hernani@vecirex.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2006 19:55:35
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:17:17AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> >But, before the check of b's version is done it gets installed -- even if
> >the version is wrong (e.g. too old).
>
> How did this happen to you?

By specifying higher versions in package A's Makefile to the BUILDLINK_DEPENDS
variables as available in pkgsrc's tree I used.

> Do you have a specific example of how this happened?

If you e.g. only cvs up -dP that certain package A in your pkgsrc tree.

If some time went on up to there the pkgsrc tree's dependencies of that package
are likely to be outdated, but you get them installed before the usability of
their versions is checked.

Wouldn't it be a solution to change the framework such that first a check
is performed to find out if the dependencies (in the tree) have an usuable
version -- and to stop going further if that's not the case?

> In the middle of December, I started thinking about the following:
>
> I'd like to extend pkg_add so dependencies can be added via a command-line
> argument.
>
> This would support standard wildcards.
>
> For example:
>
> pkg_add -d "kdelibs>=3.5.0" libkipi-0.1.1.tbz
>
> Then if the libkipi-0.1.1.tbz package only depends on kdelibs>=3.4.0nb1,
> it will also depend on kdelibs>=3.5.0.

You mean, you'll have to deinstall kdelibs>=3.4.0nb1 to install kdelibs>=3.5.0,
because the higher version's dependency must be fullfilled?

--
hernani