Subject: Re: Xorg 6.9/7.0
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/01/2006 19:51:16
On 1/1/06, Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Vincent wrote:
> > Just a thing: is the package going to be 6.9 or 7.0? I mean, modular or=
 not?

> Dumb question: what does "modular" in that context mean?
> (I haven't followed latest X development, and the rumour that everything
> is now autoconf instead of imake doesn't sound like a major improvement t=
> me...)

"modular" as in that every library or program that conforms X.Org
is now in its own distfile, all autoconf-ized (a la GNOME).  (I don't
know the granularity of the packages, though.)

I think we'll eventually have to switch.  And IMHO, the resulting
packages will be better than the current situation of patches for
imake files and inconsistent installations between pkgsrc-supported
OSes.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/