Subject: Re: TOOLS_PREFIX and tools framework and missing tool
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2005 12:08:48
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Currently, the packaging does fail if makepsres is not available.
>
> If the X11_TYPE is native, there is not a way to get makepsres from pkgsrc.

The question is why does the packaging fail.  Could makepsres be run
from an INSTALL script instead?  Then as a compromise, we could check
for the existence of makepsres in the INSTALL script and remove the
generated databases in the DEINSTALL script.

> You say then the tools framework is not applicable here. ... but I was
> just following examples already in the replace.mk (see
> _TOOLS.x11-clients) that have a few other tools that appear to be only
> available if X11_TYPE is not native.

The existing tools offered in _TOOLS.x11-clients are just assumed to be
in the native X11 in NetBSD, but for the ones I had originally added, I
checked to make sure they were actually there.  The code is structured
so that if you don't specify X11_TYPE, then it's assumed that X11_TYPE
is native and falls through to just setting the tool path to
${X11BASE}/bin/TOOL.

This is imperfect because the handling of the X11 distribution packages
in pkgsrc is imperfect.  We still special-case too much for X11.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>