Subject: Re: Using pkgsrc for an OpenSolaris distro
To: Jan Schaumann <>
From: Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh@Sun.COM>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2005 22:34:46
Jan Schaumann wrote:

>Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh@Sun.COM> wrote:
>>I wanted to use a modern packaging framework and Pkgsrc appears to be an
>>choice. I am a newbie to Pkgsrc and am thinking of using Pkgsrc to
>>package the entire
>>OpenSolaris base distribution as well as use the other open-source
>>packages. Is this
>>advisable or even feasible ? Any suggestions ?
>I think that's a great idea and pkgsrc would lend itself to this task
>indeed.  I think there are other, similar efforts with a pkgsrc based
>Linux distribution where the entire installation is pkgsrc based
>(including kernel, base system etc.; see
>  I think it was Jeremy Reed
>who did this -- maybe he can chip in on this discussion?
>pkgsrc already does a great jobs of providing software packages for
>Solaris, and seeing how DragonFlyBSD adopted pkgsrc, I see no reason why
>another OS couldn't also make use of this framework.
   In fact we have already tested Pkgsrc on BeleniX. We got hold of the
bootstrap kit and built it.
   Subsequently we pulled packages from the the Solaris 9 binary
repository which worked out
   of the box.

   However as far as I understand a repository for BeleniX will require
packages with a default
   LOCALBASE of "/" as we'd want Pkgsrc to manage the entire software base.