Subject: Re: Using pkgsrc for an OpenSolaris distro
To: Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh@Sun.COM>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2005 15:54:24
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:01:22 +0530
Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh@Sun.COM> wrote:

> I wanted to use a modern packaging framework and Pkgsrc appears to be an
> ideal
> choice. I am a newbie to Pkgsrc and am thinking of using Pkgsrc to
> package the entire
> OpenSolaris base distribution as well as use the other open-source
> packages. Is this
> advisable or even feasible ? Any suggestions ?

pkgsrc is mainly designed for building and installing 3rd party software. So
you first install OpenSolaris, which uses its native packaging system, then you
use pkgsrc to build or install other software like Gnome, Firefox, etc.

Base operating system is seperate from pkgsrc. I'm not sure how you could use
pkgsrc to install Solaris core software like kernel, drivers and X11 and system
libraries. However Sun have to realise that bundling bloat like Gnome with the
base system sucks. You could rip out non-essential packages (Gtk, Gnome,
Mozilla, StarOffice, etc) and provide them via pkgsrc.