Subject: Re: PKGREVISION for Makefile.common
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/20/2005 12:42:02
On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> > recently we had a discussion about introducing something like
> > PKGREVISION for Makefile.common. Today I have noticed that this kind
> > of thing would be really useful, as it is a tedious task to find out
> > all packages that use a specific file.
> >
> > My proposal is to have a list, maybe called PKGREVISION_BUMPERS, that
> > each package can append some values. The number of values would then
> > be added to the PKGREVISION. For debugging, it may be a good idea to
> > use the name of the file wanting the PKGREVISION bump as the value.
>
> please don't.  please.  that way lies madness.

[finally reading old thread...]

That's right.  It may save tedium to have some kind of PKGREVISION addend
variable for .common use -- but how do you figure out what PKGREVISIONs to
remove (reset) when updating the common package version/DISTNAME?  That's
right back at the starting gate, and you'd have to look for all those
packages anyway.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>