Subject: Re: specifying database options
To: Greg Troxel <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/20/2005 09:33:05
In message <>, Greg Troxel writes:
>  I have db4 installed.  My assumption, though, was that there was some
>  reason to use db2 rather than db4 for this package, and I'd like to
>  figure out the proper way to do that.  Perhaps set _BDB_TYPE in the
>  cucipop Makefile?
>Variables with _ are internal and should not be set.  Plus, you would
>be overriding logic in the file, and that seems to
>be asking for trouble.
>In, it seems like there is intent to have only one
>of db[234] installed and used, but they don't seem to conflict, and
>the comments don't explain what is supposed to happen and why when a
>package lists db2 as the only acceptable version and db4 is the
>cucipop's Makefile should briefly explain the reason for the db2
>requirement.  If that's really true and reasonable, then it would seem
>that there could be packages that really require each of db2/db3/db4,
>and this conflicts with's apparent requirement to
>use only one.  But, the BDB framework has changed since that was added
>in 1.14 in 9/2004, so it could just be a historical artifact.

I'll send-pr....
>You might check out dovecot; in addition to bdb grief cucipop has a
>non-free license.
Not really an issue for me, since I'm not an ISP.  My actual goal was
to help someone else (a FreeBSD user) who uses cucipop already...

I briefly checked out other possibilities; what scared me about dovecot
was the text in DESCR about "early stages of development".

		--Steven M. Bellovin,