Subject: Re: www/thttpd build error - not sure of correct fix
To: Roland Illig <>
From: Greg Troxel <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/19/2005 16:07:01
Roland Illig <> writes:

> Greg Troxel wrote:
> > www/thttpd doesn't build, failing to install sitedrivenby.gif at
> > install time.  The file is in DISTDIR/DISTSUBDIR, not DISTDIR, so the
> > code in Makefile is wrong.  It seems to work to just use _DISTDIR, but
> > it feels icky to use an internal variable.
> This is indeed ugly. After the freeze the documentation in
> should be fixed not to contain any reference to _DISTDIR.

I found it in mk/, not the docs, but sure that makes sense.

> > -	${INSTALL_DATA} ${DISTDIR}/sitedrivenby.gif ${PREFIX}/share/thttpd
> > +	${INSTALL_DATA} ${_DISTDIR}/sitedrivenby.gif ${PREFIX}/share/thttpd
> Any reason not to use ${DISTDIR}/${DIST_SUBDIR} instead of ${_DISTDIR}?

It's awkward to have to write code that knows about DIST_SUBDIR,
because then it needs to get changed - and it this case it didn't.
Sure, I can do that and commit, but it would be nice to have a
documented variable to refer to the directory containing this
package's distfiles.

        Greg Troxel <>