Subject: Re: www/thttpd build error - not sure of correct fix
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/19/2005 16:07:01
Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org> writes:

> Greg Troxel wrote:
> > www/thttpd doesn't build, failing to install sitedrivenby.gif at
> > install time.  The file is in DISTDIR/DISTSUBDIR, not DISTDIR, so the
> > code in Makefile is wrong.  It seems to work to just use _DISTDIR, but
> > it feels icky to use an internal variable.
>
> This is indeed ugly. After the freeze the documentation in
> bsd.pkg.extract.mk should be fixed not to contain any reference to _DISTDIR.

I found it in mk/bsd.pkg.mk, not the docs, but sure that makes sense.

> > -	${INSTALL_DATA} ${DISTDIR}/sitedrivenby.gif ${PREFIX}/share/thttpd
> > +	${INSTALL_DATA} ${_DISTDIR}/sitedrivenby.gif ${PREFIX}/share/thttpd
>
> Any reason not to use ${DISTDIR}/${DIST_SUBDIR} instead of ${_DISTDIR}?

It's awkward to have to write code that knows about DIST_SUBDIR,
because then it needs to get changed - and it this case it didn't.
Sure, I can do that and commit, but it would be nice to have a
documented variable to refer to the directory containing this
package's distfiles.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>