Subject: Re: pkgsrc on SMP machines
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/18/2005 13:30:56
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:09:13 +0100 (CET)
Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> : The ${ORDERFILE} shall be used to generate a dummy meta-pkg. I suppose
> : it contains a list of strings on this format 'lang/erlang' ? If so, it
> : should be easy.
>
>   This approach does not work: the bulk build builds conflicting
> packages, so you cannot have a meta-package that depends on all of
> them.  Besides, that is a big waste of disk space, since you require
> all of them to be installed.  Also, one of the benefits of the bulk
> build framework is that exactly the dependencies of a package are
> installed during it's build.

How do you mean conflicting packages? Ah, you mean for example the same
package but with different options set? Or wm/fvwm2 and wm/fvwm-devel?
Well, perhaps options are not implemented just yet?

About disk space: The bulk machines would have to buy bigger
harddrives, yes. I do not see a way to deinstall packages during the
build when other processes/machines may have them buildlinked from
their work directories.

How much space does it take to have all 5000 or so packages installed
at the same time?

>   We will have to do the task scheduling ourselves.

Please explain. Do yourself, what make(1) already do today?

Best regards,
	Lars Nordlund