Subject: Re: pkgsrc on SMP machines
To: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/18/2005 12:09:13
In article <20051218024103.49e29d9f.lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se> Lars wrote:
: On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:58:39 +0100
: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote:
: > Q: How would this play with pkgsrc/mk/bulk (which is the way buidling
: > packages I'm the most interested) ?

: Good question. I have never used the bulk part of pkgsrc. Just now I
: tried to figure out how it works.

: My initial guess is that:

: The ${ORDERFILE} shall be used to generate a dummy meta-pkg. I suppose
: it contains a list of strings on this format 'lang/erlang' ? If so, it
: should be easy.

  This approach does not work: the bulk build builds conflicting
packages, so you cannot have a meta-package that depends on all of
them.  Besides, that is a big waste of disk space, since you require
all of them to be installed.  Also, one of the benefits of the bulk
build framework is that exactly the dependencies of a package are
installed during it's build.

  We will have to do the task scheduling ourselves.

						yours,
						dillo