Subject: Re: pkgsrc on SMP machines
To: Lars Nordlund <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/16/2005 20:14:27

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 07:45:02PM +0100, Lars Nordlund wrote:
> > The downside of this apporach is: if you have a large package like www/=
> > it won't be able to take advantage for multiple CPUs
> A fair tradeoff, given that the alternative is no SMP support at all.

I don't think so.=20

It's more important to speed builds of individual packages,
rather then speed up builds of package batches. I admit I'm more
interested in cutting firefox or openoffice (re)build time, rather then
ability to build many packages faster.

Don't waste time implementing a framework to build several packages
parallely IMHO. Building individual packages using multiple paralell
jobs will yield bigger benefit for all pkgsrc users, and not just
buik builds.

Jaromir Dolecek <>
-=3D- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=3D-
-=3D- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=3D-

MessageID: JUKrvvIaCols8DofIVj2q4Qai7S0ye0C