Subject: bison and gettext-lib? (was Re: Re: flex-2.5.4a on AIX 5.2)
To: None <cjep@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/16/2005 10:03:55
I was sent the following off-list:

> $ ldd ./bison
> /bison needs:
>         /usr/pkg/lib/libintl.a(libintl.so.3)
> ar: 0707-109 Member name libintl.so.3 does not exist.
> dump: /tmp/tmpdir24572/extract/libintl.so.3: 0654-106 Cannot open the specified file.
>         /lib/libc.a(shr.o)
>         /lib/librtl.a(shr.o)
>         /unix
>         /lib/libcrypt.a(shr.o)

In the meanwhile, rebuild and reinstall pkgsrc/devel/bison.

Now that I looked again, bison does have NLS support, but the buildlink3
system should have hidden it and disabled it. See my configure output as
seen on NetBSD box:

  checking whether NLS is requested... yes
  checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
  checking for iconv... yes
  checking for GNU gettext in libintl... no
  checking whether to use NLS... no

The configure defaults with NLS support, but as you see it is turned off.

Now this following example is on Linux with GLIBC using pkgsrc:

  checking whether NLS is requested... yes
  checking for GNU gettext in libc... yes
  checking whether to use NLS... yes
  checking where the gettext function comes from... libc

Because it uses my GLIBC it doesn't link to libintl.so. (I am not sure how
it happened on your AIX box.)

I have carbon-copied this to the maintainer: do you want this package to
add:
.include "../../devel/gettext-lib/buildlink3.mk
or
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--disable-nls
??

  Jeremy C. Reed