Subject: Re: pkgsrc on SMP machines
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/15/2005 15:08:48
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, John Klos wrote:

> The simplest thing would be to add the -j option and let people define the
> number of jobs in /etc/mk.conf, then add overrides to specific packages as we
> find them. Yes? No?

I am using MAKE_JOBS=-j3 (but don't have an override in place yet).

I use ${MAKE_JOBS} in the /mk/bsd.pkg.mk:

         ${SETENV} ${MAKE_ENV} ${MAKE_PROGRAM} ${MAKE_JOBS} ${BUILD_MAKE_FLAGS} \
                 -f ${MAKEFILE} ${BUILD_TARGET}

I have built a few packages. I may try this on a bulk build soon.

My mk/defaults/mk.conf has:

#MAKE_JOBS=-j2
# Set to switch and maximum number of jobs for make to run at one time.
# For example: -j17
# Default: not defined

  Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/