Subject: Re: pkgsrc on SMP machines
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/15/2005 12:51:49
--poJSiGMzRSvrLGLs

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 11:43:02AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> Locking is definitely something we want. Once we have that
> 'all' we need is a list of dependencies (tsort) for a given
> build, and a mechanism for pulling the first one off the
> list which is not blocked by an active build. It may even
> be worth adding a new pkg_ tool to manage that part of it.
>=20
> So... until someone implements locking the across package
> parallel build is moot :)

what do you mean by "until someone implements locking"?
it's already there for _years_.

see pkgsrc/mk/defaults/mk.conf for details how to use it:

 PKGSRC_LOCKTYPE?=3D none
 # The type of locking which will be done if competing processes attempt to
 # do work on one package directory simultaneously.
 # + Locking requires that OBJHOSTNAME is set.
 # + Locking may require the pkgsrc/pkgtools/shlock package to be installed
 #   on certain OS types.
 # + Sleep locking means that the process will sleep for ${PKGSRC_SLEEPSECS}
 #   seconds, then try to acquire the lock, and sleeping again if it's not
 #   available.
 # + Once locking will try once to acquire the lock, and then fail.
 # Possible: none, sleep, once
 # Default: none

regards,

--=20