Subject: Re: tools (was Re: Replacing path to bash)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/13/2005 18:47:37
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
>> Please add examples and suggestions to above and I will add this
>> tools.xml.
>

> I already added some more text and will commit soon.

Thank you for doing the documentation.  If there are any clarifications
that you need, I'm happy to answer them.

> I have a question: is there ever a time to use :run where you also want
> it to use the pkgsrc equivalent instead?

There is no exported method to force using the pkgsrc equivalent.  I
think in that case, manually make the dependency is appropriate.  This
is not to say that we can't extend the tools framework to do that, but
it hasn't been something that's come up frequently enough to make it
worthwhile to do.

> Or should I just document to say "if you always need a pkgsrc version of
> the tool at run-time, then just use DEPENDS instead."  ??

Yes, this is correct.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>