Subject: Re: Firefox 1.5 package
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/12/2005 15:59:45
On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 09:36:15AM -0500, Johnny Lam wrote:
> From what I understand, there is no *functional* difference between a
> package built with or without "--enable-official-branding", so we don't
> *need* to build with it (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Correct.  The packages are identical modulo the logo (blue globe with or
without the fox around it) and the name (Deer Park vs Firefox).

> In that light, I think giving users an extra option to build with the
> option for essentially no gain when the Project itself can't seems just a
> tad confusing.

IIRC, FreeBSD also had such option before their package got approved by
Mozilla.  But back then, the only difference was in the logo/icon, the
program was still called Firebird/Firefox.

I don't think the option ("enable-mozilla-branding") would be that
confusing.  People may be more confused by the name "Deer Park".

	Geert