Subject: Re: Firefox 1.5 package
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/12/2005 09:39:54
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 11:14:33PM +0100, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 10:52:23PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > Thanks, www/firefox 1.5 seems to work fine.  But could you
> > --enable-official-branding, at least optionally?  (like wip/firefox15
> > does)
>
> it's not that easy.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/distribution-policy.html

This is how I did it in wip/firefox15:

### Enable Official mozilla.org Branding
### Note that you cannot distribute builds with Official Branding
### without permission of the Mozilla Foundation.
### See http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/
.if !empty(PKG_OPTIONS:Mofficial-mozilla-branding)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=		--enable-official-branding
RESTRICTED=			"Cannot redistribute builds with Official Branding"
NO_BIN_ON_CDROM=		${RESTRICTED}
NO_BIN_ON_FTP=			${RESTRICTED}
.endif

The restriction is that we can not *redistribute* officially-branded
binaries, but users may perfectly enable this flag for their own use.  Why
wouldn't we offer it as an option then, to make it easy for our users?  As
long as we/they don't redistribute the resulting binaries.

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 11:35:43PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> #7 seems to be a good thing... not that we do massive changes, just get
> the thing GOING on NetBSD. Geert, did you ever get any reply on that?

Not yet. :-(  Shall I ping them again?

	Geert