Subject: Re: Merging the aalib packages (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc)
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/2005 20:31:46
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:48:43PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:44:18PM +0100, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> > if you build against aalib without x11 support it plays in the terminal
> > window while it opens a new window otherwise.  there is also difference
> > in the characters used (no bold characters in terminal?) and limited
> > controls.  the x11 enabled version has better output.
> >
> > you can simulate this by building the x11 version and playing:
> >
> >  mplayer -quiet -vo aa somefile
> >
> > and then unsetting DISPLAY and trying to play it again.
>
> So you want to enable the x11 option if you can, and disable
> it on servers where you don't want X11 installed.
>
> I don't see yet why we would want both installed at the same
> time.

It seems that x11 support is enabled by default, which is
good since I cannot imagine aalib in non-desktop environment,
and preserves the way the package work now.

If mplayer/gimp/xine-lib work with both options, I don't
see problem with the change.

Jaromir
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-