Subject: Re: Merging the aalib packages (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc)
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/2005 19:44:18
--FN+gV9K+162wdwwF

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:31:28PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 10:59:01AM +0100, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> > Is it still possible to use gimp and mplayer after you merged the
> > aalib packages?
> >=20
> > aalib-x11 is used by mplayer and aalib is used by gimp, so we need
> > two packages at the same time and not an option for builing one
> > package.
>=20
> I don't see what in particular mplayer needs from aalib-x11 that it
> won't get from aalib built without x11.
>=20
> Please let me know if you find a problem.

if you build against aalib without x11 support it plays in the terminal
window while it opens a new window otherwise.  there is also difference
in the characters used (no bold characters in terminal?) and limited
controls.  the x11 enabled version has better output.

you can simulate this by building the x11 version and playing:

 mplayer -quiet -vo aa somefile

and then unsetting DISPLAY and trying to play it again.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --

--FN+gV9K+162wdwwF