Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@gmail.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/2005 03:29:14
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 12:16:31PM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> I've just imported PostgreSQL 8.1 packages (postgresql81 and
> postgresql81-*) into WIP repository.  I've only tested
> postgresql81-client and postgresql81-server install / deinstall.
> postgresql81-pl{perl,python,tcl} are not updated yet.
>
> I'm not a heavy user of PostgreSQL.  I think these need to be much
> tested before imported into pkgsrc, but it'd be nice to be done before
> the forthcoming branch...

I think given the upcoming freeze, I don't want to apply this update
to the tree.  There's no way it'll get enough testing before we branch,
where by "testing" I mean with all the packages that link against the
PostgreSQL libraries.  Since the PostgreSQL folks are pretty serious
about supporting several branches of PostgreSQL at once (they have
commercial support to help finance this), the 8.0.x branch should
still be good to use for years to come.  We can do the import (and
perhaps reconsider the number and naming of PostgreSQL package in
pkgsrc) after we branch for pkgsrc-2005Q4.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>