Subject: Re: Preliminary patch for Linux emulation
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/10/2005 16:03:45
On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 03:29:53PM +0100, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> I have grown used to the (bad ?) habit of looking for ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM
> to judge whether a package is meant for a specific platform and you
> seem to to change this meaning of the variable. Before, it meant to me

The real problem in the case of Linux emulation is, that it is a
combination of platform ability and package support. Whether the platform
support Linux or not (Makefile.application part) isn't really a feature
of the package. The package affects mostly the platform list. If there's
a specific OS / platform combination known to not work for a package, it
can still be masked with NOT_FOR_PLATFORM.

I think this patch helps us to clean this up and move the bigger part of
the selection into a few common places. I've found one instance where I
broke something (suse91_aspell, due to include reording), I'm looking
for more cases. Otherwise this is supposed to not break any working
packages, but it can unmask some combinations which are not (yet?)