Subject: Re: IMAKE_MANNEWSUFFIX
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/06/2005 20:25:31
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 08:06:00PM +0100, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'd like to eliminate the public use of IMAKE_MANNEWSUFFIX, since it is
> > almost everywhere the same as IMAKE_MAN_SUFFIX and the latter is more
> > consistent and easier to understand (IMO).
> >
> > There are currently two platforms where the values differ, IRIX and AIX.
> > Can anyone with such a system either check whether this behaviour is
> > intentional or not?
>
> are the two variables used anywhere but for PLIST subsitution?
> I cannot find IMAKE_MAN_SUFFIX in any PLIST.

Let me reformulate the issue. IMAKE_MAN_SUFFIX matches IMAKE_MAN_DIR as
suffix for the (1) category. It doesn't make a difference on NetBSD,
which installs all man pages as cat pages with suffix .0, but e.g.
DragonFly and FreeBSD and many other systems differentiate between them.
The current use of IMAKE_MANNEWSUFFIX is wrong in many PLISTs, esp.
games/ has a lot of breakage in this area. I'd like to convert all cases
of the correct suffix, it can be done mostly automatic.

To ensure that, I want to avoid new cases being added and a correct
value of IMAKE_MAN_SUFFIX on all platforms. It is not used for anything
but PLIST substituion.

I hope this makes it more clear.

Joerg