Subject: Re: HEADS UP: Package removal candidates
To: Jim Wise <>
From: Thomas Klausner <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/06/2005 20:12:13
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:40:40PM -0500, Jim Wise wrote:
> Yes.  This variable, like CC, CFLAGS, and other variables, has been part
> of the contract which pkgsrc provides to java packages for _years_.  It
> is also part of the normal contract provided by a java development
> environment.

Well, I think you'll have to face the fact that the contract has changed.

To support the various jvm implementations from pkgsrc, and get correct
dependency handling. Nowadays you don't set JAVA_HOME, but you select the
jvm you want to use via setting the PKG_JVM_DEFAULT variable.

Sadly, this is not documented in the pkgsrc guide (it is mentioned
in mk/
However, neither is JAVA_HOME.

You can and probably will have to set JAVA_HOME if using programs
outside of pkgsrc, but inside pkgsrc it's different.

Btw, also contains:
ALL_ENV+=               JAVA_HOME=${PKG_JAVA_HOME}
This is sufficient for quite a number of
packages, but it seems not for jdbc-postgresql*.