Subject: Re: [bulk] Adequate modelling of the report generation
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/06/2005 09:33:33
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Roland Illig wrote:
> Up to now, I have only received comments for the bad choice of the FTP host
> name. What I find much more interesting is the variable names and their
> meanings.
>
> - Do they make sense?

+REPORTS_DIR="/home/ftp/pub/NetBSD/pkgstat"
+REPORTS_URL="ftp://localhost/pub/NetBSD/pkgstat"
+REPORT_BASEDIR=`date +%Y%m%d.%H%M`

In the given case, a "base" directory would probably include
/pub/NetBSD/pkgstat, i.e. the common part of both network and filesystem
based access. As the two need to be the same in both places, adding them
in the right place also removes a possible source of errors besides the
redundancy.

I still think that
 	REPORT_DIR_BASE="/home/ftp"
 	REPORT_URL_BASE=""ftp://localhost"
 	REPORT_DIR="/pub/NetBSD/pkgstat`date +%Y%m%d.%H%M`"

Would make most sence (as said before), as you're dealing with *two
differend* base specifiers there.

  - Hubert