Subject: Re: proposal of how to deal with missing header files supplied by
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/02/2005 21:52:51
Dieter Baron wrote:
>  I would suggest creating tags for each (group of) function(s)
> provided by libnbcompat, and then specifying which the packge needs in
> the package's Makefile (inspired by Geert's suggestion):
>
> LIBNBCOMPAT_NEEDED=	regex fnmatch
> .include "../../mk/libnbcompat.buildlink3.mk

I'd like to have the same scheme for ncurses options. Today I've gone
through the whole pkgsrc tree looking for simple-to-fix pkglint
warnings. What I've found (among many other things) are a huge number of
NCURSES_INCOMPAT definitions (sometimes commented, often lacking
comments) that did the same and have in fact been copied and pasted. It
would be much nicer to read which ncurses features are missing instead
of which curses implementations lack an (unknown) feature.

One thing I'm not quite sure is how to name the variables.
LIBNBCOMPAT_NEEDED is not the worst choice, but that name alone doesn't
tell _what_ is needed. If I said LIBNBCOMPAT_NEEDED=yes, this would also
sound reasonable. So I prefer LIBNBCOMPAT_NEEDED_FEATURES, even if that
name is a little longer. Same for NCURSES_NEEDED_FEATURES.

Roland