Subject: Re: firefox15 in pkgsrc-wip
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/02/2005 13:45:08
On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 12:53:45PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> >The option official-mozilla-branding is not enabled by default, such
> >that bulk builds / binary packages are built without it, because I'm not
> >sure we're allowed to distribute packages with official branding by
> >Mozilla (I e-mailed them but am still awaiting reply).  But for your own
> >use you can perfectly enable this option to enjoy "Firefox" instead of
> >"Deer Park".
>
> Hm, I think "firefox" is what the software is called, so I see no reason
> for not enabling this by default. I was *massively* confused by this
> thing saying "Deer Park" yesterday (I didn't kow about that branding
> thing).

Hubert,

see http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/ for the details.

Yes, it's vague.  I'm not sure whether we can --enable-official-branding by
default (at least individuals can do it for themselves, that's why I added
the option -- what I want to know is whether we can *distribute* packages
with it, i.e. whether it should be enabled by default for the bulk builds).

All I know is that FreeBSD asked permission to the Mozilla Foundation a few
years ago, and got it.  But back then, the only difference was in the logo:
the blue globe with our without the fox around it.  Now the name itself
(Firefox) seems to be involved as well.

	Geert