Subject: Re: Use of /etc/ld.so.conf and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/01/2005 16:00:27
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 04:40:39PM +0200, Martti Kuparinen wrote:

> And now the question: do you guys have any other arguments why the
> current behavious (/etc/ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH) is evil and it's
> really a good idea to use "-Wl,-rpath $(libdir)" like we do in pkgsrc?

We had the discussion with Matlab a while ago. Matlab with external
programs (via exec / system) creates some nasty issues. In short, it is
often better even for binary programs to use something like chrpath or
what it was called, than to revert to wrapper scripts setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or use of /etc/ld.so.conf. The latter is really an
artefact which should die in the days of ELF.

Joerg