Subject: Use of /etc/ld.so.conf and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/01/2005 16:40:39
Hi!

I'm compiling/porting some code which needs to load other 3rd party
libraries during run-time. Currently the code does not use
"-Wl,-rpath $(libdir)" with LDFLAGS when linking the application but
assumes that the library directory is defined in /etc/ld.so.conf or
the user sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I think this is unacceptable as I want to be able to configure and
compile the code with --prefix=/var/tmp/destdir and do everything as
a normal user. Also settings LD_LIBRARY_PATH is in my opinion a
stupid trick.

And now the question: do you guys have any other arguments why the
current behavious (/etc/ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH) is evil and it's
really a good idea to use "-Wl,-rpath $(libdir)" like we do in pkgsrc?

Martti