Subject: Re: use of LDD in pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/29/2005 22:23:19
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Also, please consider using objdump on platforms that have it instead of ldd
> so it doesn't record recursively used libraries. Or does that matter? I'd
> prefer that the REQUIRES= only listed the specific libraries as NEEDED.

Extra data point for future implementation:  The same logic required to get
NEEDED lines out of "objdump -x" on ELF platforms will work as-is on
Interix.  The lines in question look exactly the same:

$ objdump -x /usr/pkg/lib/libz.so

/usr/pkg/lib/libz.so:     file format pei-i386
[...distinctly non-ELF info...]
Dynamic (.so) Section:
  NEEDED      libc.so.3.5
  SONAME      libz.so.1
[...]

However, the objdump tool is not in a standard system path; if made part of
the tools infrastructure, it should probably be specified without path to
allow $PATH to pick it up.  (It's in /opt/gcc.3.3/bin on a default install,
which also happens to be where gcc is.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>