Subject: Re: use of LDD in pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/29/2005 22:18:04
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> > > Also, please consider using objdump on platforms that have it instead of
> > > ldd so it doesn't record recursively used libraries. Or does that matter?
> > > I'd prefer that the REQUIRES= only listed the specific libraries as
> > > NEEDED.
>
> For example, ldd shows 38 libraries needed by my firefox-bin.
>
> But "objdump -x" only shows 22 NEEDED entries.

And objdump's output is correct.

To explain why this is important to those who may not understand the
difference:  Some of the libraries found by ldd are in fact direct or
indirect dependencies of other .so's.  They *are* listed, but in the shared
libraries' own NEEDED data, found by running objdump on the .so.* files.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>